Zaragon Place Lofts I – Ann Arbor, MI
The nine story building, with two levels of below grade parking, plus partial mezzanine creating two-story high penthouses on the top floor, features a dramatic glass lobby flanked by two retail spaces.
The project offers dramatic and flexible living spaces in a state-of-the-art high-rise building with a two-story ground level fitness center. Lofts range in size from 917 SF for a two-bedroom unit with one bathroom, to 2,034 SF for a six-bedroom unit with three bathrooms, spacious loft areas and two-story great rooms. The most common units offer 1,255 SF of area in a four-bedroom, two-bath unit configuration.
- Direct conversion of steel framed building to masonry load bearing structure without changing the interior layout or architectural façade.
- Cast-in-place concrete basement, below grade parking, 1st floor columns and shear walls.
- Cast-in-place shear walls and transfer beams at 2nd floor to support loadbearing masonry walls above and transfer load to concrete columns below.
- Test panels with approved procedure to eliminate excessive cleanouts in exposed masonry walls while using high lift grouting.
- Engineer (DNCE), Mason Contractor (Davenport) and Special Inspection Agency (SME) worked together to develop inspection and monitoring procedure to control quality though out construction phase.
- Extensive coordination was carried out during pre-construction, shop drawing and review phases. Detailed shop drawings were drawn showing location of each individual rebar for coordination with steel embed shop and precast shop drawings.
- Transfer back to steel columns and beams at 9th floor was challenging to ensure columns located near edge of bearing walls.